Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Covid 19 Home Learning

Good afternoon!

Here is the first morning of home learning update:

7:00 - 7:30 Mass online by myself

7:30 - 9:00 Work on school items, talk with a co-worker, trouble shoot the online learning portal, get ready for the day

9:00 - convince the 7 year old to curl up and look at the links with me that were prepared by his teacher.  First link, no problem...it was just a parent letter.  Link two did not work.

Yes...the website problems that were just resolved are now not working for the STEAM teacher.  You can laugh or commiserate!

9:30 - switch to ABC MOUSE and try to figure out the problem with the portal.  At the same time, I log into the other laptop to try to get the 10 year old started.  Nope - the links do not work.  The 4 year old has taken over ABC Mouse and the 7 year is rolling around on the couch!

TIME GETS FUZZY HERE!  4 year old convinces dad to play his video on the living room TV while learning is supposed to be happening.  This was corrected quickly, but adds to the reality of home learning with 5 different ages in 1 one house (and a sleeping college student to make 6).

10:00 - get the learning link portals working on my phone for my 10 year old.  She gets a multiplication choice board link and quickly writes 1 word problem.  
Simultaneously, I get the 7 year old to work on learning about glaciers,  writing three facts, and one opinion.  He also learned learned about President Polk and the first lady Polk and then Gerald Ford.  Before distractions set in.

10-11:30 there is oatmeal that needs made, juice spilled on the bed, and more!  Some of the learning is occurring, but not what I imagined or hoped for!

By 11:30, everyone was hungry and it was lunch time.  I am not sure how another month of home learning is going to work.  This is just enrichment and I am not "teaching" online yet.  

Oh - add in potty training to this mix and you might get a sense of the craziness!  Luckily, my husband works from home with a super flexible schedule.  He can make the oatmeal or assist with lunches or put the 2 year old down for a nap...I can't image doing this home learning thing solo.  

How was your morning of home learning?

The afternoon brings my 10 year old making a guitar with hair ties and a tissue box. Roblox or some other video game on multiple devices in multiple rooms.

So if you have a picture perfect schedule...go for it!
If you quickly fell into a pit of tablets and PBS KIDS...go for it!
If the kids are running around in the yard...go for it!


What are they going to remember when we are done with this adventure?  Think about it from their point of view.  Tomorrow is a new day!

Here is a new links for families and teachers:
PBS learning resources

This is what I miss most - my students and my fellow teachers.  



No comments:

Post a Comment