Sunday, March 15, 2020

Copyright and Fair Use

Last night, I went live to read a story to my students using the Facebook live feature on our PTO page.

Well, I made a quick decision based on a post in a librarian group.  Parents and students seemed to enjoy the experience.

One parent even posted the following:

"Just wanted to say thanks for doing the live story time. You put a smile on my son's face when you said hi. He also liked hearing the names of other kids you were saying hi to. I'm grateful for you doing this because it's a strange time for all of us. I think it helps the kids to see a familiar face and gives them a sense of security knowing that we are all in this together. So, thank you!"💕:==

I kind of felt like Molly in the Magic mirror from Romper Room from the 80's.  I had a blast reading last night.

Today, I had extra time and now the conversation in my library face pages is about Copyright and Fair Use.  Basically, if you follow the letter of the fair use "law", I should be asking the publisher for permission to read the entire book aloud on a video.  It would be okay if I read 10% of the book.  However, others are debating that unprecedented times call for some "forgiveness" or "exceptions".  I am left unsure how to feel or believe, but my students come first.  This means...story time will go on at 7:30 EST on our facebook PTO page.

There are a few articles to read and consider from the School Library Journal if you are curious.

First - Story Time Online
Second - Fair Use okay ?
More Fair Use information

****updated. link 8/23  Read Aloud Updated

I might have updates later, but today meant making lasagna, cupcakes, custard, walks, and basement cleaning not reading more on copyright and fair use

Skating fun

Fresh air and MUD!

Roller blading up the stairs is not easy

Bonfires and yard clean up




In addition, there was a "Blessing Box" added to our Little Free Library!





Let us be beacons of light in a dark historical moment.  What are you doing to spread joy and hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment