Monday, December 28, 2020

DeSTEMber part 2

 Week 3 and 4 were done virtually.  So I had to modify the assignments and activities.

Grade K - 2 for week 3 was all about Santa's sleigh.  The book was called "The 12 Sleighs of Christmas".  The librarian and I picked the same story and activity without discussing it with each other.  So my response rate was lower.  Here is a link to the story on YouTube (and directions).  


Grade K - 2 did a jingle bell challenge for week 4.  I know that the video says week 2, but I created it before our schedule changed.  The goal was to make your jingle bell the QUIETEST!  It was fun seeing and hearing the ideas on Seesaw.  Two students actually suggested taking the bell apart.  Here is a link to the activity video.  Jingle Bell video


Grade 3 and 4 did a gingerbread house design challenge.  First, my son and I created a video and learned how to use some of the video editing software on the computer.  I LOVE the ability to mash pictures on my own.  I have tried an app called 1 second every day.  This serves the same purpose with lots more options.  So I created my instruction video on this software then uploaded a UNLISTED video to YouTube.  


Here are a few my student creations.  




Some students also chose to DRAW the pictures.  A previous art teacher even did a Facebook class on gingerbread houses.  Here is link to her gingerbread drawing activity online by Rachel Berlin.  Gingerbread art class

Grade 3 and 4 had Holiday Coding as the final DeSTEMber activity.  We used Google Santa Tracker and Grinch Hour of Code.  Students could pick and chose one of the activities.  Here are the links for next year!  Inside Google Santa tracker is Code Boogie and Code Lab. 


Overall, I enjoyed the blended activities of school and home.  The challenges led to new opportunities and thinking outside the box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment