Sunday, November 29, 2020

Memories and traditions

This morning, I woke up early and scurried to the basement to help Santa's elves wrap a few packages for Christmas.  I started last night, but nosy curious children derailed progress.  Usually, we pick a fun outing for the kids to the YmCA or gymnastics for a Kids Night Out...but those are not really an option this year.  I know that it is only November 29th, but I do not like to wait until the last minute.  In our house, my husband buys 85% of the gifts throughout the year when he finds a special item or good deal.  I have no idea what is the totes until he reveals the items to me.  It like Christmas for me.  It is our family TRADITION!  As I wrapped in the silence, I had time to think and reflect and pre-write this post.

I know that this year will be different.  The mall Santa is "protected" in plexiglass.  There are fewer holiday events in our communities.  I know that people are stressing about who to invite to their holiday dinner.  But different can be a good thing too...it allows to find new traditions and create new memories. And I do not feel obligated to fill every weekend with running around...more quiet home time for our family.

In STEAM, we are celebrating the entire month with something that I am calling De"STEM"ber.  I totally borrowed this from other teachers, but made it my own.  The activities can be done at school, at home, or a combination!  I do not want to say too much, but I am SO excited to start them on Tuesday at school!?!? Often, the older students bring their laptops to STEAM and we code on Code.org and listen to instrumental holiday music in December.  However, I feel that we are all over screen timed currently, so I think that this will a good switch! 

At our house, we are keeping many items the same, but I am trying a new holiday/advent book with activities.  I try to keep my blog secular, but at times I do mention my faith.  The book is called "When Will It be Christmas".  I am excited for the activities, verses, and reflection.  


In the past, we have tried another book "The Advent Storybook", but it was deep and not always of interest to the younger children.  


We also have an elf that visits our house.  Each year, we have a theme.  Last year was "Games Reindeer Play" this year is "Creating" a Magical Christmas.  We will be making him a mask, "digging" into the holiday season (mini digging kits from the dollar tree), and a few other crafts along the way.  I might also use some of my pins from Pinterest.  

Look for updates on our De"STEM"ber adventures in STEAM and our family holiday traditions.

What are you doing to keep up with traditions or create magical memories this year?






No comments:

Post a Comment