Saturday, November 14, 2020

Home Learning Week 1

 Last week on November 5th, my building had to go into "red" phase or a temporary two week shut down.

I had just finished my big election unit and was in the middle of introducing code.org to grades 3 and 4.  2nd grade was learning to use the camera on their computer.  Grade 1 was starting paired programming (covid style). K was working on tangrams.

Most of these units could not be transferred to distance learning.  So it was time to re-think our choices and options.  Thank goodness that mentally I have been preparing for this...read my last post for that intuition!

K - 2 continued their work on learning about fire safety using a choice board from the National Fire Protection Agency.  Sparky Choice Board


3rd grade was able to explore Kodables.  With the use of Clever, it auto signs students in.  Over all the students who have tried it give it 4 out of 5 stars.  It teaches the basic concepts of coding including loops and conditions in a game format!

Here is our data so far:  



You can check it out since it is a "FREEMIUM" site as well.  KODABLE

4th grade is working on code.org as normal then transitioning into EduTyping and Kodables.

As a teacher and parent, this week has been a challenge since on Wednesday I returned to the empty classroom while my children are at home.  Luckily, my husband works from home...but it makes for some interesting moments like this morning meeting picture of TJ.  



1 more week of red....then 4 school days before Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment