Sunday, December 2, 2018

Marble run wrap up

The marble runs were such a successful project that I wanted to build in time for other skills.

Students got a chance to present/show off their creation to their peers.  I loved watching the group dynamics.  Many students had to get over a true fear of speaking in front of others.  Everyone got up with their group and we got see all of the projects.  Only 2 projects got "lost" in the week between book fair and thanksgiving break.

The next thing that most of the students got to do was a survey about the project.

I found the data fascinating.  We will use this later to create our own forms online later.  I also discovered a way to make the survey tell me each child's answers and how to make them all anonymous.  Pros to sign in was the accountability piece while the con is the time to sign into office 365.  Pros to the anonymous was the quick access to the survey.  Con was that I do not who said what in the open ended responses.  A few classes missed the survey for a few reasons - 2 hour delay, high absentee rates with a crazy weather day, musical practice, etc...

Here are some of the survey highlights:

Question 1 was a star rating of the project,   Here is the snap shot of the results:






The open ended responses were equally interesting.  Many showed thought and reflection.  One student wanted it quieter to work.    Good thing to think about next time!

My favorite was a little boy who said - "seeing it work" was his favorite part!  YES.  This is the best part - seeing your success :)

For the question, what would I change.  Again, some were brutally honest - a different partner.  Some had predictable answers - more materials, more time, more ways to decorate it, etc...

Finally, I asked if they wanted to share anything else with Mrs. Hedderman.  Here is my favorite answer:

"I loved this projcet! I think you should do this for every class/every year! I hope the other grades love it! I mite do this at home! I love it so much! I can't stop talking about it! I'm so happy that I can do this at home.My brother can't wate to try to make one! Or my mom!My aunt loves crafts and so do I !So I am going to teach her how to make one!"

My take away is a better way to store the projects, a better way to take home projects so that there are less upset students.  


It worked well for the first project!   We also found the online marble run website.  It works best it on Google Chrome.  Our IT department had to "white list" it.  There is a build mode and a gallery mode.  

https://www.marblerun.at/tracks/new

Now onto winter/holiday projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment