Saturday, November 3, 2018

WHY STEAM?

I get asked frequently "Why is it STEAM not STEM?"  and the answer is simple...it is the latest educational trend.

As I watched a video on the use of the Rubix cube in high school geometry.  He mentioned the bill by Congress which I then had to look up and include in my post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvSXNuXmsg 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3344/all-info

Plus when I designed the original class, my assistant's strength was in art.  So I felt that this would be an important component to include.  I could have picked my different acronyms including STREAM which adds writing or reading.

I am on a hunt for additional resources, links, case studies and more... Visit this list as it grows.

STEM to STEAM

Watch for more information as I update this post!

Update 12/16/18 - these focus on the importance of play!

Article about play in the CS classroom from Beanz
Article

Second is a new quote from Fred Rodgers:
Image may contain: text that says 'PLAY is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood. -Fred Rogers Orton Gillingham Online Academy'



No comments:

Post a Comment