Saturday, November 3, 2018

Shapes, Shapes, Shapes

I am working hard to create a curriculum not just a random collection of meaningful learning activities.

I want to offer educational opportunities not just craftivities,  I want to develop a great STEAM program.

Where do I start?  How do I find ideas?

I really heavily on Pinterest, twitter feeds, facebook group posts (like Future Ready Librarians), I attend conferences, I read books, and more...

Is this enough?  I do not know, but I feel that every activity has the ability to teach and reach a student.

So I must press on...

One topic that I focus on in the fall is shapes.  It is part of the kindergarten and first grade math curriculum and has so many options in STEAM.

Here are a few of the activities that we do in a variety of ways.

First grade, watched and created tangrams with a new You Tube video that I found.  We created three of the five tangrams with the video.

Next, students explored how to do tangrams online on ABCYA since the one on PBS Kids is no longer available.  Tanagram game


My Kindergarten used Cat and Bat tangram sheets that I have in sheet protectors.  They use them like a puzzle.  Tangram
The students did this as one of their math centers during STEAM.

In addition, I changed the pattern shape sheets for November.  In October, I have pumpkins, apples, spiders, and more...  For November, I add in two turkeys, a pilgrim, and a mayflower.    Here are some resources to print your own sheets.
Jessica's corner
Pre-Kinders
This Reading Mama

Finally, we read "Perfect Square" by Michael Hall.  Students in first grade made a square from a rectangle than tried to create an image inspired by the story.  Kindergarten was given a square.

Image result for Perfect Square

Happy Shape Creating...

Robot

Person, pumpkin patch, and barns

Tree

Beak

Turtle

Pizza








No comments:

Post a Comment