Sunday, April 10, 2022

Crayon Day

 I was looking for some new ideas for STEAM lessons for my students.  I do repeat some favorite lessons but the last two years, we have not been in school in late March or near Easter time.  This left me looking for new ideas and inspiration!

I found this video with ideas Facebook event link

I quickly went to work figuring out what I wanted to create for the day...

Here is the 3 activities that we did and how they went:

Grade K - Watched the Crayon Man -  You can use this video below or this link - Crayon Man LINK


Then we peeled and melted crayons.  I found a cool tutorial on Instructables!
THESE WORKED SO WELL!


We also tested to see if crayons sink or float...most sank even in salt water!

Tie dye crayons, rainbow crayons, etc... were a huge hit.  Each got to keep 1 mini muffin crayon.  It worked except for 5 individual pieces that I just pulled out of the melted circles.  I had to pre make the 1st batch.  

The clean up wasn't too bad either.  I used up all our itty bitty old gross crayons in this process too!

Grade 1 - Listened to a classic Mr. Rogers video on how crayons are made from PBS.  Mr. Roger's video
Then we colored a classic crayon picture from Crayola.  Crayon coloring page

Grade 3 - learned about the history of crayons then upcycled crayons!    I also found the video on this link - Crayon History


I loved watching them creating, designing, and being creative with old broken crayons!

The set-up!

Beach

Basketball hoop

Crayon made out of crayons!

Person 

FLOWER!


Plinko GAME!

I LOVED THIS LESSON - I PLAN TO REPEAT THIS EVERY MARCH with 3rd grade :)

No comments:

Post a Comment