Sunday, July 4, 2021

506 kids not 6

 People often are surprised to hear/see or realize that I have six children.  I never know how to respond or answer the comment.  There are many ideas and suggestions, but my answer is always - YES they are all mine.  There are actual 6 when we are missing any of them for whatever the reason.

Sometimes, I reply with the idea that I have 506 children NOT 6.

Being a teacher, means that I get to celebrate baseball wins, see seniors graduate, watch former students start their next chapter of life.  The downside is the gut wrenching feelings when I have to mourn the loss of a student or a close member of a student's family or a fellow educator.  These times are rare, but more frequent than I would like.

This week was such a week.  Tuesday (my son's sixth birthday) there was word of a fire on a local street.  I brushed it off as I got ready for a small gathering.  Then I stopped at Dollar General for cups for the gathering and the reality came at me full force.  

The report is double murder (children were 13 and 10) - suicide - arson.  One is a tragedy...two is a nightmare...all three is unfathomable.

Wednesday night brought a memorial service...tough decision to go...even tougher decision to lead the candlelight vigil unscripted.  

I struggled with what was I supposed to do...how to make a difference...what to say or do.

This morning was even more challenging as we went to Mass at our local parish church (where the family were members) not our usual church.  I needed to hear Father's words...I needed to cry and mourn the loss of my kids.

Our community is shaken...there are no words or solutions...but time will heal...until then I re-watch a recent video made by the little boy.  I look at his STEAM memory "sway" which is like a power point of his favorite STEAM activities over the past four years.  I see even more value in a simple project.  

Here is one slide of his power point - showing his baseball stadium at the top created out of cardboard.  His invention was for higher fences for greater safety!

Pray for the family and our community!

_________________________________________________________________________
Here are a few happy fourth of July STEAM option - check out this fun science experiment!  We might try it later today!

Underwater Fireworks

Learn about fireworks from Wonderopolis too :)


I will try to provide some periodic STEAM ideas! 

Enjoy your holiday...hugs your "kids"...cultivate your relationships...stay connected...celebrate every day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment