Saturday, December 14, 2019

Winter Holidays - STEAM style

Christmas Tree Tessellations:

Students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade colored small Christmas type trees.  I cut each one out and created a 'tree of trees' tessellation style.  I hung the first one for the Polar Express event.  The second will get hung up on Monday.  Students loved seeing this come together. 

I did find a video to show students about this topic this week.  I plan to just show the first few minutes.  Tessellations

Where did I get my resource?
Frugal Fun


Kindergarten is learning to make paper snowflakes.  We are recycling old dust jackets.  I will post pictures later today!

Hour of Code and Code.org
In December, I focus on computer coding.  Students love to sit around the STEAM room solving puzzles, trying to figure out how to get the character through the maze, and next week I am adding instrumental holiday music. 

It is a time for quieter in the busy world. 

Here are some holiday coding links:
Santa Tracker by Google
Grinch Coding
Snoopy Snow Brawl

Finally, last year, my holiday shopping post was a hit!
Check it out for ideas :)
Wish List 2018

To add to this - here is what you need to make a paper circuit:
Copper tape, battery 2032 (cheapest at Bed, Bath and Beyond OR amazon), and LED lights



No comments:

Post a Comment