Monday, February 19, 2018

Maple Time

Many years ago, my Aunt Rita sent me an article from the Washington Post about a PA Maple Taste and Tour.  I was clueless about this yearly event before this article.  Here is a link to that article from 2009 Washington Post article

This has started a journey of learning for our entire family.  What have we learned?

  • We learned about and read "Miracles on Maple Hill"
  • We held the actual newbery medal for the book
  • We learned about the history of maple syrup
  • We learned that mud and snow are great weather for maple sap to run
  • We learned that it runs until you hear the peepers
  • Most of all, my husband and I wanted to try this ourselves
So...we were thrilled to find a few maple trees on our new property. 
This summer, my husband and I moved from the city to the country.  On our 1 acre lot, we have 2-3 maple trees!  We have contacted our local maple syrup expert Jan Woods, picked up spiels and tubing, and purchased food grade buckets.

Today (in the rain), we tapped the maple trees.  We shared the fun with Tim's cousin and some of her children.  Here's hoping for the sap runs well.

You can check out Hurry Hill Farm online or at the PA Maple tour

Hurry Hill Museum



Look for more pictures and updates about our maple sugaring adventure!










No comments:

Post a Comment