Sunday, October 16, 2016

Local Author Feature - Tina Curtis

Connections are essential in teaching...

One connection that I have made is with a local author named Tina Curtis.

She has written many books on local history surrounding Wattsburg, Waterford, and Union City.
  
My students loved doing a book club on Hannah's Heaven several years ago.  I am still hoping to do a book club with Jill's Journey.  Recently, she wrote a Cat in the Basket.

I wanted to  add her awesome new book to the Wattsburg Elementary Center.  She was kind enough to autograph it for the elementary library.

My educational aide was so excited to read the book with the students.  She quickly told fond stories of playing in the basket factory where the book is set as a child.  Plus, she made the connection to have the students in first grade make a basket out of paper and color a cat to go in the basket.  The students loved talking about this story with my educational aide.

It is awesome to see the story to come to life.

Here is more local history information and links to some of Tina Curtis' books. 
Hannah's Heaven

My daughter's basket and colorful cat.


The book's cover
UPDATE FROM THE AUTHOR:
A Cat in a Basket can be purchased At Greenfield Basket Factory on Monday-Friday 7-3:30. They are $15 and baskets can also be purchased. We have many baskets that come in Christmas colors. 
Greenfield Basket Factory


I am going to do a monthly feature on a local author.  Look for Hillary Barboni's as my November featured author!

No comments:

Post a Comment